Thursday, September 30, 2010

Great Central Road Day 20
























I had this strange suspicion it wasn't going to work.
I got up at dawn and rode the bike around to all the spots I could get.
The sun came up way too quickly and with no clouds around there isn't much in the way of favourable light.
















And by the time the gates were open it was all over. . .





























So back to the campground to work on my professional camper skills.
I decided to fix the roof vent as although I had power for the air conditioner last night I wasn't sure about tonight and definitely not the next couple. Also a few squeaks and rattles needed attending and I may as well wash bedclothes etc. as it is cheap to wash here and everything dries instantly with the lack of humidity. Surprisingly little humidity compared with the NT parks even though right on top of the dam! Then of course there was lunch, read a book, have a nap, read some more, put the motorbike back on the truck, fill the water tank, empty the toilet tank and before you know it it's 3pm and time to move to the next camp in Kununurra itself. I keep running into a bloke "John" (and his apparently nameless wife); with whom I was discussing this business of moving and camping etc. . In his enquiries of others "in the trade" it appears that the average move per day is between 80 and 150km. I think that means I can't go anywhere else for another two months!! I knew I was doing something wrong.

The bloke at the quarantine station crossing into WA said the Hidden Valley caravan park was the cheapest so I went straight there. $29 per night down from $35 but because I "bitched and complained" they would make it $25 so I decided on "no power but generators allowed"for $12. The only problem is they have very restricted generator hours until 7pm. Normally it's 9am to 9pm everywhere else. I guess I still haven't got it quite sussed yet, but I'm working on it . . .

No comments: