Friday, September 24, 2010

Great Central Road Day 12

Just a long 500km transport stage back to Alice Springs.

In the last day or so more and more people are telling me how nice it is in Darwin now.

I wanted to take the Ernest Giles Road across from Luritja Road to the Stuart Highway which cuts off about 120km. Probably no quicker but would save a little diesel and I could have another look at Henbury Meteorite crater but was told it was closed at he Palmer River. Funny, when I looked at the signs on the Stuart Highway end it was now open. Crossing allowed one way only ??

So that's it. Back to Alice for reprovisioning and then a long 2 day haul to Darwin to see what I can see.
Very frustrating coming out of Alice.
A beautiful sunset over the surrounding hills with a full moon etc. etc. and nowhere to pull off where it could be seen. Eventually I stopped in the middle of the road but of course that meant a gigantic peak in traffic until eventually it all went dark. Damn....

No comments: