Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Great Central Road Day 04

Day 04
Pretty to wake up to but a little ominous.


















According to my father "Red sky in the morning - shepherds warning. Red sky at night - shepherds delight.


















Later in the day it cleared way to this - hopefully it will continue.


















Generally the road was quite good with only the occasional puddle to contend with.


















and visually more interesting as the tail end of the central "mountain" range hoves into view.
I'm puffing because I ran to the topof a hill.


















It appears the descriptions were accurate. After crossing into the Northern Territory the roads were in much worse condition. There were about 235 km of roads like this (little YouTube video)

About 135 km out was lunch at Lassiter's Cave. I brought the kids out to Ayres Rock (maybe 20+ years ago) and we were told you should drive out and see Lassiter's Cave. While having lunch it occurred to me I was quite glad I hadn't!!





































































Enough said!!

The road comes out in the middle of the Uluru-Kata Juta national park so I made a turn toward Kata Juta (formerly The Olgas) arriving at about 4pm. There are two walks through so I took the "Valley of the Winds" which was rated at 3 hrs. These ratings always seem to be for fat pommy tourists so I thought I would go anyway. It actually only took about 2 hrs stopping for photos so those pommys must be getting fatter! I wont bore you with the 100 photos but here are a couple.















































Got kicked out of the park at 7pm (no one is allowed in after 7-30 everyday) as no camping allowed. So it's off to the caravan park at Yulara.

No comments: