Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Great Central Road Day 08








Still raining . . .

Boring for you, boring for me.

Only a short drive into Alice Springs. It doesn’t match anything I thought I remembered from 25 years go. I’m not sure if it’s better or worse, but I’m not inclined to hang around, so it’s a quick trip to the supermarket as soon as it opens at 8am. Stock up on provisions for the next week . . . I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised at the total but I was surprised that a few things were actually cheaper here than in Perth! Then came the brutal bit, top up the fuel tanks, I knew that wasn’t going to be cheap as I have been listening to the radio where there has been an ongoing discussion as to why fuel is cheaper in outback Queensland than in Alice Springs. $360 . . . Ouch!

As I was walking past the information bureau it was quicker to check road conditions there than to fire up the laptop. As I had hoped it was open out to the west with only cautions for flooding over the bitumen in places. The main loop road further out where I want to go is dirt and if it is open I will find out further along the track where I have to get a permit anyway. I’m out of here!

The main road is a bit broken up in places but nothing serious










Even this one only came up to the rim of the wheels, about 250mm deep.











These two were on the way out to Simpson’s Gap which is about as I remember it except with a lot more water. I can’t really say I’ve ever been impressed too much with this one so on to Standley Chasm. There are three walks with the longest being an hour (in normal conditions) and only 90 minutes before they close the park and still pouring with rain (so sorry no photos) and I think I’ll move on as there is still 100km to Glen Helen which is where I thought I would end up.

Around about 4pm there is a sign to a parking spot which for a change looks to be up on a hill so I decide to have a look. What a great little spot. The car park is a bit muddy but I found a well drained spot right out on the edge overlooking some small gorges and the road with an all round view and the rain has even eased a little which allows me to take a few photos.




























Not really good enough to stitch into a panoramic but it’s all a bit like this.










Rather nice.

[Update]

I decided to do the panorama anyway. This is about 180 degrees from the same place.






There is a video version here.

[End Update]

As there is still a bit of light I decide to do a bit of maintenance.

These wretched drawer locks unfortunately aren't doing the job. They are really nice in less severe applications but are having a terrible time on these roads.

This is the original catch as installed . . .
























and this is what's left !























The only thing I have found is some rubber stoppers which might have a little more give in them

























I guess we'll see as we go . . .

No comments: