Friday, September 24, 2010

Great Central Road Day 13

The day starts beautifully

And then is a long fairly uninteresting haul through country much like before.

692 km







The Devil’s Marbles just before Tennant Creek are worth half n hour walk around but it’s near middy so no dramatic lighting for photos.







Lunch in Tennant Creek which reminds me, in layout, of more WA South West towns all along the main street apart from the red dust of course.

On the way out is the Telegraph Station “museum”which is really the station house and outbuildings of the station on which the telegraph house was. I can’t see a sign here saying any of these buildings was the telegraph house. Quite strange!





Not far up the road is Threeways, so called because it’s the meeting of the Barkly Road to Mt Isa and the Stuart Highway from Alice to Darwin . . . take your pick.







Continuing on I think about staying in Elliot for the night but I think even parking in front of the Police Station may not give me enough protection so I move n to another layover allowing camping. There are already half a dozen camps set up and I have no choice but to be near some of them. Of course now getting into the tropics I need the air conditioner and generator. I have a “mild” discussion about the relative disadvantages of my noise and my neighbours smoking. Neither of us is satisfied but I have turned them off. I notice he is still standing upwind puffing on his cigarettes.

Nice moonrise.









Tomorrow Katherine.

No comments: