Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Great Central Road Day 21
















Day 21

I pressed the wrong button on the GPS sometime today and lost the track but it goes between the two overnight stops for Day 20 and Day 21 . . . the yellow bit and part of the grey bit.

This is the park at the end of the main street in Kununurra.










I can’t believe Kununurra has the second most expensive fuel I have come across $1.70/l!!

But I really don’t have a choice so $350 later I head off to El Questro.

I’m told that the area around there is as good as anything down the Gibb River Road but that’s a big call. Never the less it’s about 60km off the main Gibb River Road and 50% is bitumen so I’ll take it quietly and see how we go.

Some great views in this part of the country but hard to photograph at 11am with pretty bright skies.










It’s not a bad place but of course they get you in subtle ways. The $20 park pass so you can wander around plus the $20 camping fee (unpowered).

It’s only just after lunch by the time I get there as the road is pretty easy so I get the bike down and have a blast to all the 4wd lookouts and tracks. For some reason despite the light I quite like these couple of images.



















In fact by tea time I manage to cover everything but the gorge walks which I am told are really best done in May. That’s a good reason to go back!














A quick blast out about 20km to the boating jetty produced this just before it was time to return for the evening.

















On the way back I finally worked out what was wrong with what I was seeing in El Questro. I remember when it first started to be promoted and there was always a photo of a building overlooking a gorge but I could not find it in the main part of the park. But if you go down a "Private Road" you can see it's the main homestead for the station. ie the owner's house. Great for advertising but not for public access.
















Fair enough . . . the rest of the park is pretty good anyway.

No comments: