Thursday, September 30, 2010

Great Central Road Day 17


















Morning spent cleaning camper (inside) and a bit of reorganization. Every time I got that "I must go somewhere" feeling I made myself do something else.

Finally left about 11 am. which must be something of a record for me.

The drive through Litchfield is much more convoluted horizontally and vertically!

A slope marked 400 metres at 10% - selected 2nd gear as being overly cautious. Only just made it and fading, 500 metres would have seen a hill start in 1st gear!

The first item on the agenda was the famous “magnetic” termite mounds.


















There is a quite large area, which you can see here, of about 30 hectares where all the mounds are this slab like shape arranged E-W to minimize sunlight exposure. Absolutely fascinating! What’s more fascinating is how they trained them do it. Well they must have! It’s the only place I have seen them for 1000 kilometres through here. In fact if you just turn around from looking at them you will see














This fellow and his many companions blatantly exposing all aspects of themselves to sun and tourist alike.

Never the less the Buley Rockhole was calling
















And so were what seemed to be about 100 other tourists having fun in them.
















I was told by everyone that the waterfalls were much better in Litchfield Park.
Silly me . . . I thought they meant to "look at them".
Still they were pretty spectacular to look at as well.
Next on the list was Florence Falls.
















I was ready this time . . . .
















and at Tolmer Falls as well . . .

















The most interesting thing around these falls was the loop trail right around and over the top which took a couple of hours. The trick is the lookout is half way but everyone seems to turn around and go back, I'm not sure why!! On the way you pass through an area of quite "jungley" looking trees and vines etc. which are infested with bats.
What a racket they make!
















I have some video footage but at the moment my mouse is playing up and it's too hard to edit and get on-line. This bit is just a nice little area about 80% of the way round.

I was hoping to get some pretty good bird photos here
















but all I did get was some nice swamp photos
















but I wasn't about to photograph white cockatoos screeching "Idiot"

Last on the list was Wiley falls which were quite interesting. You couldn't actually get to them as they went into a canyon which was pretty inaccessible but they looked pretty spectacular (for a small volume of water as it's just about to get wet).























In fact there was incessant thunder and lightning and some rain down on the lowlands but it didn't move out way thankfully.

By this time it was 4pm so following my new rules I stayed in one of the bush camping areas in the park. They actually have hot showers, toilets and free gas barbeques after paying the $7 camp fee so they are actually quite good.

No comments: