Thursday, November 20, 2008

Time Flies When You're Having Fun

My poor old Mum said (at 94) that time just seems to get faster every day. She wasn't kidding! You blink and your kids are 25yrs old!! And everything takes longer and costs more!!

Yes I know. . . . Things are actually cheaper these days (as a % of annual income) but it's a great saying. Like the one about the Golden Rule . . . You know "He who has the gold makes the rules".

However I digress . . .

Not much done today for reasons which will become obvious - surprisingly the metal in the compressor was of a better standard than I expected so I was able to cut, drill and thread it without trouble. You win one every now and then. So a quick mock up to make sure it all works - you can't put any real pressure in these airbags without restraining them or they will tear themselves apart - so I will have to wait to load them up with weight to see if there are any system leaks and how long it takes to pump them up - they expand immediately without any load.



















Now where to locate the pump etc.. I don't really want the pump in the cab but it has no filters (I said it was a piece of crap) to keep out road dust etc. so it's add them on or (lightbulb!) put it in a box. If it all goes well I should only need to alter it for major changes in load eg fill up the water tanks/drain the grey water tank etc. so it's not like it will be used every day. I remember I have an old (new condition) ammunition box which was spare from a number of Geocaches (look it up - it's an interesting hobby) I was making. Now where to put it? There is a bracket on the chassis between the cab and the batteries which had something mounted on it at some time but whatever it was has been removed - but you can't get the bolts out without taking the bracket off. I have been meaning to tidy it up for some time. Maybe I can put it there? What a nice convenient option - drill a few holes in the box - paint it black - music!! I will even be able to monitor it every time I walk past.






















What next - put the roo-bar in front of the truck to see what it looks and fits like. It is definitely a bit more beaten up than I would like - but have you ever noticed that the things that bother you RIGHT NOW generally get forgotten within a fairly short time. There are just too many other things to get pissed off with :) I can see I am going to have to figure out how to deal with the lights - the rest of it should be fairly easy.























OK now for the fuel tanks - let's start fitting them. The trolley is fantastic - will lift 500kg! And really useful! Roll the tank into position to see how it fits - beautiful - leaves about the same clearance underneath as the transfer case so the rollover angle is not compromised. The exhaust however is in the way so it will have to be moved. That means the truck needs to be driven to the exhaust guys so it will have to have mudguards and lights fitted appropriately. There is always something else before you get to the part you want to do. Never mind it's probably easier to do it all now than when the body is sitting in the way. Have to arrange lights, guards and exhaust first thing next week and then I can fit the tanks.


















Hey there's the phone - my new bike is ready!!! I have a lift arranged so it's off to the dealer. Not forgetting the helmet bag.

These guys must be on drugs . . . first they keep me waiting 20 minutes - they already have my signature - it's the next guy they are after. Then the salesman can't even remember which bike I'm here for. When he finally finds it - he just sort of says "There it is." and wanders off! Maybe I should just ride it away and keep the bank cheque in my pocket? But I want the manuals so I suggest a trade. He can't seem to find any manuals - call the mechanics - look in other books - they're under the seat. OK where does the key go to get the seat off - that's how all my other bikes have worked. "You have to what? Take off both the side guards - three bolts each - and then undo a seat retaining bolt to get at the manual???" You've got to be kidding! I'll do it later at home.
OK Let's start it up see how it runs - only 0.6km on the clock - I guess that's the pre-delivery mechanics run around the block. Wait a minute I ordered a bike not a sewing machine - where's the "rorty" exhaust etc. Are you sure it's running? It's on reserve - is there enough fuel to get me to a service station?
Actually I love it being quiet!! Some of the trails I know are spoiled by being noisy - I just want to tick along looking at the scenery these days - not wondering if I am going to come out of the next corner alive.
Off to the servo - it took exactly $2.00 (that is not a misprint) - I hope it was more than half full or is extremely economical or I am not going far with that tank! I would like at least 200km on a tank or it can be a bit of a nuisance. Now should I take the freeway home (I don't want to punish it too much at this point until it has a few km run up)? It's really a road/trail bike so there is no tacho to tell by - so just run it at what seems comfortable. Up to 85kph without too much fuss and bother but it's so hard to tell at the lights if the engine is still running.

Guess how much truck work will get done over the weekend??

No comments: