Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Christmas Comes Early

Well I decided to just do it. Having spent the last couple of days redesigning everything I just had to be a bit like NASA and at some point freeze the design and go with it. Even if something new comes along - just ignore it! SO a whole bunch of steel tubing has been ordered and should arrive tomorrow. In the mean time do what needs to be done.
Fit the breather to the rear diff. and get it out of the way.


















Also the transfer case.


















Finish off the rear mounts (except for the fishplate bolts which will be drilled when the cabin structure is squared up). Now we have the upper section to bolt the cabin to, the U-bolts in place :























and the anti-compression tubes between the chassis flanges.
























Front mount completed and placed ready for cabin: (of course it all needs prep and paint yet but I want to see as much assembled before I paint in case it has to be altered -NASA doesn't always get it right either).


















I have also decided to use some air bags I have from the last camper built to distribute the load on the chassis a bit better. These will transfer up to 2000kg to the chassis at about the front spring hanger which is ideal and will take some of the load off the other mounts. I will make up mounting hardware a little later when I see how it relates to the cabin.



















So feeling reasonably pleased with myself by the end of the day I was packing up when a courier arrived. I'm not expecting anything for a about a month but "lo-and-behold" its' the windows I ordered. I can't resist having a look at these! They are made from a high strength plastic and the acrylic panes are double glazed to help with temperature control. The outside is a nice silver finish.


















and the inside a nice neutral cream colour. Hard to see from here but three bottom latches ensure they are difficult to prise open.


















They can be propped open in several different positions: partially open


















and fully open


















This doesn't show it very well but there are an integrated fly screen,


















and a sun screen which can be set at any point down from the top



















or they can be clipped together for partial fly screen and partial sun screen at any setting.



















Pretty damned fancy!!

And for the price they ought to be !!

Back in the boxes until they are needed . . . feels just like Christmas.

No comments: