Monday, November 17, 2008

Sometimes the plan works . . .

Apologies to Sun Tzu - but sometimes the plan works.

Yesterday I went to the 4WD and camping show like I planned and spent lots of money and organised to spend even more. Useful information was even obtained !!

I plan to have the bed above the dining area (just like in some Winnebago(s)). So I managed to look in the appropriate model and lo-and-behold there was the manufacturer's name on the bed lift. Same people who make slide-out systems. ( I would dearly like to have liftable wall and roof panels (like in some UNICATs) but I can't figure out how to do it economically - I guess that's why UNICATs (etc) cost upwards of EU 250,000!) I looked up their website and they have diagrams of how it all works (about the way I expected) and now I have both options - import a system or make a similar one . . . mind you I remember someone else who built a similar camper saying "if you can buy it or make it - buy it!" Pity I didn't know this when the dollar was US$0.98!!

I knew I would have to have a reversing camera at sometime and wasn't actually looking for one at this stage however a very competent salesman (he was so good I didn't even get to look and see if he had white shoes) talked me into a show special. Seven inch screen, dual inputs, two sets of cables, one dual daylight/infrared camera (a second camera can be added later if I put the cable in now), money back guarantee etc.. ( but I seem to have misplaced the steak knives) all for about $400 so I don't think it was too bad. This is the very impressive box it came in.

















Wait a minute . . . it's what brand? There isn't even a brand name on the box . . . no "YingTongTiddliPo Lucky Happy Corporation" in sight . . . don't tell me even the chinese wont own up to making this one! I think I'll have to hook it up real soon to see if I need to try and get my money back. Mind you I once went all the way to Taiwan to get my money back for a DUD machine I bought - but that was $150K so it was worth it.

Oh well on to the next stand . . .

I have been negotiating with the guy who is building the double decker bus for a now redundant (but new) generator which he no longer needs as he has upgraded to a 8.5kva from a 6.5kva. While I was walking through the show there were a couple of stands with "SHOW ONLY SPECIALS" for Honda 6.5kva generators exactly the same as the one for which I had been negotiating. $1000 OFF!! Sorry end of negotiation - I'll take the new one with warranty thanks. I'll pick it up from the local dealer tomorrow (ie today). So now I have a brand new generator (and I wont have to rely on the published sizes) to make the fittings around.






















There's only one thing wrong with going to a Honda dealer to pick up a generator (I discovered this morning) - they are just as likely to sell you a new motorbike also! Well I sold my road bike to (eventually) get an off-roader to take with me so I guess that eventuality has arrived. Photos when I pick it up in a couple of days time.

So not much left of the afternoon again so concentrate on getting the air-suspension bits actually started. It's going to be a little more fiddly than I hoped and I may not be able to carry all the weight I hoped in this configuration but it seems to be the best I can do with all the constraints that seem to be governing this. So mocked up in position to see what it looks like before I finish off the support brackets.























And another day bites the dust . . .

No comments: