Sunday, November 30, 2008

As weekends go . . .

Bite the bullet. Just get it done. Make a start!! I hate the thought of starting this part. Not just because it is dirty work but also because the truck will become immobile for the first time. And will remain so until I have it all back together. I don't expect to get it all done at one go so I'm likely to end up having the truck blocking the factory for some of next week - just when I need to get materials in and out!!

Had a sudden brain storm and realised that starting on the off side (ie adding the new tank before replacing the main tank may) be counter-productive. I am better off getting the main tank in place and the truck mobile again as soon as possible.

OK. Out with the old tank.























Take out the fuel lines also as they will be replaced by approved flexible hose later when I connect up the filter.

Position the new brackets for the square tanks to see what's what. Just as I suspected - there are only two holes from the original twelve that I can use with the new brackets. Why is nothing "standard" in this type of work. Not only that but there is a bunch of other brackets for air-brake tanks and other things which is going to interfere with where I need to put holes. It looks like I am going against everything I have learned so far and will have to just put holes where they will fit. There really isn't any decision making required here once committed. It's a bit like scuba diving - don't think about the things that can eat and/or kill you just do it. Drill the holes and bolt everything up tight.


















Having got the tank positioned it is time to look at the final filter and hose placements. The approximate position of the filter is OK, about a metre further forward, in a convenient space between the air tanks and the mudflap just above the connections between chassis and engine.

















But the first attempt at a new bracket yesterday is as ugly as . . . So that has to go and as is often the case the replacement is smaller, neater and nicer.























This also leads me to another bright flash! There is really no need to replace all the fuel lines with flexible and probably good reasons not to. All I need to do is extend the lines to the tank where necessary and cut the inlet side just under the filter and insert a loop to the filter and back to the line. Just leave as much in place as possible. ie If it ain't broke - don't fix it!














Now for the second tank. This means getting the muffler (silencer) off the exhaust pipe and out of the way. Another thing to fix later when the tank has been installed.















And I even managed a social life (dinner with company) in all that.
Not bad as weekends go . . .

No comments: