Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Paying the Piper

Today was one of those days where the bills had to be payed. Fortunately the items the customer wanted didn't take much input as they had been done many times before and each item runs for about 28 mins in the CNC lathe so I only had to pay attention every now and then. (I know I'm supposed to be retired but it helps to keep the overheads in check and only takes about 2-3 days per month).

The sheetmetal guys called and said the pieces for chassis reinforcement had been pressed up so I dashed out while one job was running and picked them up. Trial fit into the chassis and I was very happy :)) Nice neat fit !! The end now has to be cut back at 60deg. to match the original piece (you can see the diagonal line on the chassis top right to bottom left) and then welded (to AS1554 - certified of course) and then the holes drilled for the rear mount plate. Has to be done this way to move the stress concentration out of the mount area.














Trial clamp up of the bolting bracket required to take up for-and-aft forces. Will also have two x 16mm hi-tensile "U-bolts" to take up all other forces. There is an intermediate horizontal plate missing between the two parts in this photo.














The front mount also had it's horizontal component added while I still try and figure out where to put the U-bolts. Side plates not needed here thank goodness as I couldn't find a spot for them anyhow.














Updated the "General Arrangement" drawing just so I know what all the measurements are - and now I'll have to try and rearrange the 3D model drawing to accomodate the real mounting positions.












Guess I better go arrange for the U-bolts now I know what size and how many!

No comments: