Monday, October 06, 2008

Millimetre by millimetre

Doesn't quite have the "punch" of "inch by inch" does it?

Well today I had to do things to pay the bills so nothing was done on the physical construction. However while working away I was able to think about the necessary elements of the camper mounting. Although the principles were OK I decided I had a few details sort of "back-to-front" and was able subsequently to sort them out and be much happier with the arrangement.

Although the principles have been worked out some of the precise measurements will require dismounting the existing tray from the chassis. This led to a small conundrum as I didn't want to have to remount it in order to be able to fetch the materials I would then require. A neighbour dropping by for a chat fortunately solved that by offering the use of his truck for the fetching and carrying. (Thank you Art!)

So after work this evening I sat down to update my current 3D model to see if I would be happy with today's ideas. Below are the result (in somewhat primitive form until the actual measurements are taken but nonetheless reasonably accurate). I think it will work OK.

The next step is to place longitudinal beams and floor bearers much of which will depend on the position of the auxiliary equipment and fittings. I plan to have an underfloor storage area approximately 300mm deep throughout as I will make use of the full length of standard size sheets (of whatever I cover it with) which are 2400mm high. With insulation that should allow for approximately 2050mm headroom.

So this is the basic torsion free mounting:













With any luck this weekend I will remove the old tray and start the real work.

No comments: