Saturday, October 04, 2008

As an aside ...

On the trip back I decided to take a more direct route than the shortest sealed road. There is a section from Norseman to Hyden in WA which is unsealed gravel road that cuts off several hundred kilometres. I have travelled this route before in my 4WD Toyota Prado and even in my VZ Commodore SS Ute!! It is quite remote but provides some interesting scenery on the way.

One of the more interesting spots is Peak Charles - a 40km detour - but "what the heck?" - I'm retired without a timetable. As you approach from 40km away it looks remarkably regular.














From 5km away the approach winds around to the other side and it takes on a completely different appearance.















From 1km away with the afternoon wearing on it becomes more rugged and quite pretty. I noted somewhere that it is used for practice alpine climbing.



















Early next morning I decided to climb the "easy" walk trail. This is as far as I got - there is a sign here warning of "exposed hard scrabbling required" and as I am not good with heights I stopped here part way up.















There was an unusual lot of cloud around for this time of the year and it made for some interesting views.

































Some of the rock formations are quite interesting as well.

No comments: