Saturday, October 04, 2008

The longest journeys begin with the first step

One day recently I decided I'd worked long enough - I closed my business the following Friday and decide to do some travelling. I'm a 60yr old Aussie (currently residing in Aus.) but would like to travel in Europe for an extended period. I have travelled a little in US and NZ and "touristed" in some other countries. While thinking about how to do this without breaking (into) the bank I have started to build (my third) camper for Aus. I have fallen in love with the Unicat style of luxurious overkill. To this end I have purchased an Isuzu 1992 FSS500 4x4 (all 11000kg GVM) with only 100,000km and fitted it with Super Single ie 385/65R18 22.5 wheels/tyres (at a ludicrous price) as a start. I am currently designing a torsion free body mount and accommodation unit etc. (my business was engineering manufacturing). My intention was to make this unit self contained and eventually ship it to UK (as a start - as I only speak English) in a container and do some extensive travelling. I don't have a return timetable.

It's all "growing a bit like Topsy" . . . and I have discovered I am attached to my Isuzu. So - now I'm trying to figure out if its possible (I'm sure it's not too sensible - but that's not the point) to ship/drive the whole kit and caboodle to Europe.

No comments: