Saturday, February 28, 2009

It's an Enya Thing . . .

Just when you get the decks cleared
somebody turns off the power for the day.

That doesn't help much.
However finally all the parts come together and I have a new more compact winch for the generator. Can't see it here but all the pieces come apart for easier storage and assemble without tools.
It just does the job if I substitute a shackle for the big hook supplied with the winch. It's fitted with an eyelet which makes it non-detachable and I haven't decided to cut it off yet. I probably will - it only needs to annoy me one more time and it's history.






















I think it's time to start finishing things as I go. There are too many things which are 90% done but not finished off as I still have quite a bit more welding to go in the upper parts of the structure and I don't want weld spatter, of which there is quite a lot when you weld zinc-plated steel, to mark any of the finished parts. But a friend of mine has promised to give me some "chipboard" which he is going to throw away that I can use as temporary flooring so I can start to finish and fit things under the floor.

I have been debating the best way to finish up the gaps created underneath from the supports for the bin floors. There are two 50 mm wide spaces for the full length under the main beams.


















In the end I decided that I will just have to weld a plate over the full length on each side.
It will have to be about 75 mm wide by 5 mm thick. This is not too bad as it will actually provide a little bit of clearance for the rest of underside and stop the bin doors hitting on anything if it actually has to be put all the way onto the ground. It will also make it easier to provide an insect-proof underside, good for peace of mind with regard to creepy-crawlies and for customs etc as well if eventually sent overseas.

It's amazing how long it takes to prep., fit and weld a piece of flat bar in. Mind you it is 4800 mm long so it can't happen instantly.


















Now all I have to do is clean up the welds, degrease, prime, seal and paint and the underside will be done.
Then there's only the other 90% to go. . .

No comments: