Monday, November 30, 2009

Making Haste Slowly . . .

While waiting for Sich to complete my cupboards for the interior fit-out I have been doing a few things at my place.
Both solar panels are now fitted and awaiting connection.
















I also discovered (the expensive way) that is a good idea to have a checklist of all the things to do before driving off . . .
No. 1 on the list is "Close the roof vents"!!!

Finally the rest of my electrical components have arrived from Victron in Holland and I can begin to install the electrical system. I am still waiting for the circuit diagrams from the local supplier for the system so I don't put things which belong together on different sides of the truck but there are a few major things whose position has been determined.

The main component of the whole system is the 24Vdc 5kW inverter / 120 amp charger called a Quattro ( I refer you to the Victron site for full details if you are interested).
This is mounted in a central position for all the wiring and switching but was a real bastard to actually fit into the space allocated for it. I just hope I don't need to take it out ever again.
As all the wiring goes in from the bottom and the air circulates via a fan in the bottom it has been raised up on a stand.





















Similarly on the opposite side of the truck an isolation transformer for the 240vAC has been fitted so that the required RCDs will function properly when connected to shore power.





















And because someone commented he other day that "all work and no play makes Silama a dull fellow" I decided to address that issue . . .

So the Prado I hated (purely prejudice I prefer Patrols ) was traded (before the new model is released and the second hand prices go down) and a new Commodore sedan ordered (prejudice again) and for the first time in my life I got some cash back.
So I just couldn't resist . . .
















Honda ST1100 (second hand but great condition).
The first 2000km has proved what a great bike it is . . . should have had one years ago.
Only pity is I won't be able to take it with me . . .

No comments: