Monday, August 16, 2010

Just a Little Test Run . . .

My computer suffered another meltdown!

While waiting for a replacement part I decided to do a little test run through a couple of towns about 100km away. It all went well apart from the drawers next/under the sink don't want to stay closed. All the other drawers and cupboards seem to be fine, it's just these ones. After much searching through furniture manufacturers' catalogues the best I could come up with is these.















I used them before on some of the other cupboards but the way the drawers are made led me to think they could not be used here. They are meant to go straight through the front and have a striker on the frame or cross piece between the drawers. These drawers don't have a frame!!
However, I reckon I can use them differently and mount them from the side of the carcase and use the actuating pin against a stop mounted on the side of the drawer. Sort of back to front . . .
This is what it looks like unlocked


















and locked


















First thing is to drill a hole (hopefully in the correct spot) through the side of the drawer cupboard to fit the lock barrel but not going all the way through.















You can see there are no cross pieces to lock against.


















Where the point of the drill comes through on the other side allows for marking out the securing screws


















and drilling the necessary holes from this side.


















Then a larger hole for the locking pin to come through.
















Tomorrow I'll fit the lock and the striker on the side of the drawer and then if that works as well as hoped I can do the other three, although the top drawer is going to have it's own problems as I can't get to the side of the carcase because of the fridge fascia board.
There's always some little thing . . . .

No comments: