Wednesday, August 25, 2010

First Real Test . . .

Nothing much happening in the way of construction as "Suzi" is out and about !!
Just a small run on the spur of the moment to a place called Mount Observation about 65km in a direct line from where I live in Perth right on the edge of a National Park.
















I thought it would be a good test to see what it's really like. I did not load any food and just stopped in a small town along the way to pick up supplies
- just like I'd have to if I was travelling for an extended period. It certainly reminds you of all the small items you have in your cupboards and fridge that you only think about when you run out, because I ran out of everything.
Arrived just on lunch time and was able to get organised without too much trouble. Took the bike down and then realised that I had not filled it after the last trip nor had I filled the jerry cans. Dumb! The nearest town was about 20km away so a trip there was required just to get a full tank. Back by about 3pm and just enough time for a short trip around a small part of the national park which extends for some 200 miles south.
The temperature started to drop fairly quickly as the sun went down so dinner was a barbeque and some stir fry vegetables. Already I can see I will have to rearrange where I carry nearly everything in order to make things more convenient.


















This is a typical Aussie picnic spot, you can just see a concrete fire pit in the background alongside the next log table and seats.


















The unusual bit was that there was a well kept toilet here as well!

As the sun went down



































I was joined by some of the local wildlife



































When it got properly dark I repaired to the truck and set up the computer etc..
A friend rang my mobile while I was doing it and, I find it amazing, I was able to connect with my wireless modem and solve a problem on his computer and then go on to produce this blog post. . .


















To someone who finished schooling and started work before the invention of the PC it's quite mind boggling.

No comments: