Wednesday, June 09, 2010

First You Makes It . . . Then You Makes It Work . . .

A successful debut trip but not without it's trials and tribulations.
Fortunately all the major systems worked well.

The truck itself seemed to perform very well. It was a little thirstier than I expected (well hoped really) but given the weight involved and the complete lack of aerodynamics I guess that should have been anticipated.
I have always thought that my idea would be to park the truck for several days at a time and do local exploring on the bike (more on this later). I guess that works OK for summer and warmer climates but will have to think about winter a little more. Maybe I will end up chasing the seasons like everyone else.

The accommodation also worked well but with some reservations. Firstly I have no idea yet how to organise the interior storage. Obviously edible cold stuff goes in the fridge and freezer but as for the rest of it - not a clue yet. The exterior storage is almost the same - BBQ and gas is easy as is a couple of folding chairs left over from previous outdoor theatre adventures but I even think they may be the wrong type. I don't have an outdoor table yet . . . etc. etc.
Seeing I don't really want to do much cooking inside I have a lot to figure out about how to organise the outside camp as well.

Setting up camp is clumsy. The stairs work well once erected but take about 5 mins. to get organised. I know this doesn't sound like much but it is a fiddly process and too complicated for a quick 5 min stop for a toilet break / cool drink / cup of tea etc. for for morning tea. I need to have a simple small ladder to make it easier to get to a few things and maybe just to climb in and out without setting up a full camp. With the access so high this is not as simple as it sounds.
Also things like a hot and cold water tap accessible from the outside would make it so much easier for cleaning BBQ and associated equipment etc. without traipsing in and out.

And so it goes on . . .
I will have to address a list that is already about "as long as your arm" just from the first trip.

First of these items is the fridge retaining strap. It worked great while it worked but with the off-road excursions it just couldn't take the extra stress.


















I think the simplest thing there is to just use a heavier duty one. Easy ones first.

While I had the spare wheel and motorbike with me there was no way I was going to take either of them down except in the direst emergency. While working late in to Friday night in order to get away Saturday I got tired around midnight and accidentally let the spare wheel fall off the mounting bracket. Fortunately no damage was done to anything except my ego, but the reality is that as you get older you just don't want to have to rely on brute strength any more. That thing weighs 130kg and it's just too bloody hard work to yank it around manually.
Time to get the winch working.
I have never really tested this thing properly after it arrived. Opened the box, admired it and then got on with doing things the hard way. DUH!
So a quick jerry-rigged test setup for various components like mounting bar, snatch block and yacht rigging cord was concocted and the button pushed.
I am never going to do anything harder than push a button again. I can't believe how easy it is to get a wheel that size to go up in the air.























So we are parked again until I get the winch properly mounted for lifting tyres and motorbike.

I wonder if I can get it done for this weekend . . .
there's this nice little camping spot only about 160km away down this bush track I know . . .

No comments: