Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fiddly Bits . . .

I decided I needed to try and finish at least one thing at a time for a while so the attack on the bike rack was continued. There are a couple of little brackets on the frame which could be useful for supporting the back end of the rack but unfortunately they are under the mudguard and in fact one is the taillight attachment point. To get at them I have to do one of my least favourite activities, drill or cut holes in a perfectly functioning piece of equipment. Nothing else for it I guess .....























Well that wasn't so bad :(

In order to have a certain amount of design integrity I needed to make some support pillars of the right height. Those which sit on flat surfaces on the bottom are just left but a couple of the others which have a nut underneath them (as opposed to the nut normally sitting on top) which is required to attach the taillight have a washer underneath to spread the load on the soft aluminium.









Finished - so take it all apart and fit the mudguard back in . . .














and it doesn't look too bad.


















So now I can fit a couple of easily adjustable straps to find out the balance point before I make the lifting/stabilising bracket.


















As there wasn't much left of the day I decided to do a little inside job. A shower curtain is mandatory to stop the water going all over the floor. The floor is of course 3mm melamine so it's not going to hurt it but inevitably it will flow out the door and into an unsealed area - so best to stop it before it gets away. The curtain rod is held in place by a couple of rubber backed fittings designed to be squeezed between two walls. The fixed version is fine
















but the other end, while it works quite well, is an extremely ugly piece of work. I have put it behind the door in the hope that I will soon forget about it if I don't see it as much and won't be tempted to make a new one in stainless steel.

















I have enough other things to do . . .

No comments: