Sunday, May 09, 2010

I'm OK Now . . . . .

Had a little "turn"there for a while . . . :) . . . but my faith in the world is restored **

( I got a little depressed when I decided that I needed to do some "real work"to offset rising costs and approaching "end of financial year" bills.)

But like the title says . . .

In the mean time . . .

The gas laws require that there be "big holes" for air to get in and gas to get out should there be a leak. It's a pain in the "PROVERBIAL" but you can't legally get into a caravan park without all the appropriate ugly stickers everywhere.

So this requires one hole up high and one down low, of approximately 150cm^2 each, and totaling 300 cm^2.

I think I previously mentioned how awful the commercial ones are so I had some 316 sheet stainless punched full of holes to make up a face panel and some more punched and bent to make a baffle piece to go inside the wall. The theory is that any water getting past the first grill is likely to hit the second grill and because of the arrangement to trickle down to the bottom and back outside. Well that's the theory anyway . . .

We'll see how it goes in practice!

















The above pieces are siliconed and riveted together to make the assembly described.













Then the part I don't like - cutting big holes in the lovely fibreglass (which never leaks until you cut big holes in it !!)













and right through to the inside as well . . .














This assembly is then siliconed and screwed in from the outside













In the mean time a piece of plain "mild steel" is prepared for the inside. This is not being too mean to afford stainless for the interior as I realise it would look far better but "I have a plan". . .























The back of the outside piece is painted a matt-black so it will not be intrusive behind the grill.
















And the interior piece is painted with "hammertone"to match the door frame and attached to the inside of the door.
















The plan is - I am going to buy a large sheet of "fridge magnet"material and cut it up to match the size of the inside sheet which being made of mild steel will allow it to be attached during dusty conditions while travelling (stainless is of course non-magnetic)

Now there are only the generator ventilation panel (pictured) and the upper gas vent left . . .











(** well, in Les at least, he did comment on my disappearance!
So - just for you Les I will go back and explain the previous post photos.)

1 comment:

Les said...

Thanks for going back and adding commentary to your previous post. It really helps to understand some of those photos! Measles, eh? :)

As always, outstanding work and a super project.

I'm in the upper left hand corner of the U.S. (Whidbey Island in Washington state). If you ever find yourself wandering around in this area you've a standing invite.

All the best,

Les