Wednesday, December 30, 2009

As One Door Closes . . .

This is one of those things which kept getting put off as it didn't stop anything else from being done and I couldn't decide if I wanted to cover the doors with the same material as the rest of the wall. I wasn't sure of how well it would stand up to the inevitable rubbing and bumping the doors are likely to get.
However while looking for some other "bits" the other day I saw an outdoor carpet material which looked like it may do the job so I bought a couple of metres (at about $35/m).
The process is quite similar to covering the walls.
I wanted to have the inside of the door quite flat and flush so a hard lining was required to which the carpet could be glued.
So all around the inside edge of the door a strip of timber about 19mm x 19mm was glued (liquid nails seemed to be quite appropriate for this purpose).


















Another piece was put right down the middle as I wanted to stop any buckling which may occur and I could also use up some offcuts of ply which may otherwise just have been wasted.























Some 12mm lightweight ply panels were then cut to fit and as I didn't have the thickness to play with to squash the insulation it was cut to size to fit in between the battens and taped to the panels.























The panels were then turned over and screwed onto the battens.























Both the carpet and the door were sprayed with contact adhesive and the carpet placed in position. It was about 40 deg.C that day and working in a closed space made my head spin until I realised that open windows and hot air was better than cool air from the air conditioner.
























Then it was a case of working the carpet well into the edges of the door frame before trimming off the excess.























A piece of 3mm laminate was fitted around the door lock as a "bash plate".























Quite happy with the result.
In some ways I would have preferred this material as wall covering all over. It has a flatter finish than the other material, doesn't mark as easily and has a little more "character".
If the other material doesn't wear well it could still be a possibility . . .

Sorry . . . I think I had a small brain malfunction there . . .

No comments: