Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Going to Hell in a Handbasket . . .

I was just sitting here doing a bit of this while waiting for a truck to deliver some more steel tubing I need to complete the framing. . .

I've been waiting since WEDNESDAY LAST WEEK !!!

Wait a second . . . the truck has just arrived . . .

I can't believe it !!

The truck didn't have my order on it and the driver does not remember dropping my stuff off anywhere else . . .

They'll try and sort it out tomorrow.
I had less trouble when the world was busy !!

I planned to work over the long-weekend but with no material I decided two days as boat crew was far preferable. Couldn't have wished for better weather but not much work gets done that way.

Failing material for new work I decided that a bit of finishing off was in order so (NOT AGAIN!) the bed frame was stripped out and narrowed by 10mm. It had been annoying me for some time. It was made first and the tracks put in around it and never having done a similar item before I aligned all the wrong things and consequently everything after that was just a little bit off. It came to a head when trying to fit little brackets and springs to the chains ( to provide correct tension to the chains to keep them back in the track and not get grease on you if you lean back against the track) and I could not get a rivnut into the tube as it was right on the edge!!
Narrowing the frame by 10mm fixed all the problems.


















Next was trying to do what I could with the little bit of material on hand.
I was also getting a little annoyed with myself in not being able to arrange the hot water heater, gas bottles, air conditioner etc in the required space without encroaching on the bathroom more than I wanted. The main trouble was the water heater was much longer than all the other items and then had its fittings in the back. A sudden rush of blood and it occurred to me that it was much narrower than it was long and perhaps I could mount it sideways??? This would put the opening just behind the cab which was OK as there was a a vent cover which protruded a little more than I liked anyway and that would put it out of the way. The only problem was I would need to take the whole house off the truck if I needed to get at the hot water system to service it!!
Wait a minute . . . what kind of idiot am I ???
The truck has a tilt cab !!
Just tilt it out of the way . . .
For once something goes right !

So frame up the opening and put in all the rivnuts to screw it down.


















It's difficult to see there but the holes were also drilled right through so that when the skin goes on I will be able to drill pilot holes through from the back without ruining the fibreglass by drilling in the wrong place searching for the rivnuts.

Some additional pieces I found allowed me to also frame up the front of the bin opening for the gas bottles - bearing in mind they need to be separated from everything else and have venting for any leaks - and to start on all the floor bits for the bathroom.


















I'm actually quite happy with how this part is turning out now that I am into it and if the truck turns up first thing tomorrow ( as promised - again ) I will only have the air conditioning to traumatise about then.

No comments: