Thursday, December 04, 2008

It Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time . . .

OK. OK.

I don't like it much either.

Yes it's UGLY!!

I've had it up to HERE with the mudguards.

"Why did you do it like that?"

"What's that bit there for?"

It all started when I saw the plastic guards:
a) The price.
b) They actually look OK.
c) There was no way you could get anything made in steel or aluminium etc to even get close.
d) There were matching mudflaps to go with them.
e) Neat mounting fittings to go with them.
f) I didn't imagine it would be so hard to find some way to fit them!

And actually I don't mind the idea of the pipe rolled around the outside of the guard.

The first mistake was that I got the diameter of the outside of the guard wrong. The pipe was supposed to only be 10mm bigger and therefore not noticeable.

The second mistake was carrying on because
a) it was exactly the diameter of the cross tubes larger
b) it cost $250 and I didn't want to get it done again (I know! Why didn't I just get them to roll it tighter? Well there was the problem of the cut piece...)
c) I didn't think it would be such a problem

It is like it is and I want to finish and move on.
Leave me alone.
If one day if I can't stand it anymore I'll do it again.
Properly.

In the mean time it you want to know why it looks like that:

It seemed like a good idea at the time!

No comments: