Wednesday, December 03, 2008

The Inverse Effort - Reward Law

I'm sure it only seems that way (because of the interest level) but things which seem of least importance always seem to take the most effort. How much time and effort can a pair of mudguards take?

I live in fear of the 80-20 rule coming into effect with this project.

And the 90% rule I don't really want to think about. This one was discovered during the time I was developing computer software systems. "The first 90% of the project takes the first 90% of the effort, the last 10% of the project takes the other 90%." Don't think about it too much it will make your brain hurt.

Wednesday . . .

Final fitting of the fuel transfer hose. Fixed with a couple of old hose clamps (seemed appropriate) to stop it falling off the support. Now all I have to do is :
- put some fuel in the tank
- find the priming pump
- determine which fitting to loosen
- pump the fuel through until the filter is full and fuel starts to come out the loosened fitting
- tighten it all up again, and
- start it up.

At least that's what I have been told - I haven't had much, read none, experience with diesels.

Hope I can do all that with my fingers crossed.






















Mudguards . . .
Lots of little pieces -
sleeves to adapt from fitting to pipe - 8 of























spigots for mounting the mudguard fittings, with a little cleaning up to make for an easy fit, 8 of























Set them in place to make sure it all goes according to plan.




















Fit the previously welded support frame in place ready for tacking























Transfer it back to the welding bench where it can all get a final realignment. The guards are very flexible and don't really give a lot of support while tacking so the spigots can actually be out of alignment. Probably wont stop it going together but it will look ugly!!

















And finally weld it all together. Left and right handed versions.


















I can't believe the whole day is gone. With a few real work errands thrown in. Well that's what I call them but it is really just an excuse to ride my bike somewhere . . .

Thursday . . .

Now I have to figure out how to attach these things to the chassis. Taking out a few rivets always gives somewhere to mount things so lets try that. The pipe will be cut and welded when the exact positioning is determined and some additional reinforcing is added.





















Now I need a way of connecting the supporting frame from the mudguard to the pipe support. More fittings I suppose. Some of these :






















and some of these:


















To be used like this :























and I guess that's it for this week as I have to do real work tomorrow. The contract welder is coming in and I have to have everything ready - and then I get to work as a "trades assistant" for a couple of days before I can get back to the truck.

C'est la vie . . .

No comments: