Tuesday, July 06, 2010

Sweeping It Under The . . .

I started to cut up some carpet as part of the next major task to be completed.









































I originally envisaged cork flooring but it turns out to be very difficult in such a small area without creating a lot of dust and toxic fumes from the sealer that is supposed to be used. It is something I can always go back to if I feel the need to sometime in the future.
I guess I am also in a hurry now as the "finish line" seems a little closer.
In fact this also caused me to nearly overlook some basic finishing work.
The interior of the storage space under the table should also be "finished"in some manner rather than leaving the ply surfaces with boot marks and other sundry blemishes they have accumulated during construction.
So I stopped carpeting that area and started painting all the under surfaces with some light grey/silver paint that I had left over from painting a part of the factory some time earlier. So there are panels all over the place until they dry out and can be carpeted on the top.































Also some of the frame will still be exposed so that needed a coat of the ubiquitous silver hammertone paint used elsewhere on the frame.















With those pieces sitting off in the corner I could start on the main part of the floor.

I decided against trying to cut out a single piece to cover all the floor by convincing myself that I could make joins where the major joints are in the frame as they correspond to sections which may have to be lifted out if there are any problems with the water tanks. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! I have found some nice low profile aluminium strips designed to cover such joins which I will report on later.


















I must admit it feels quite different with a bit of carpet in place.
Can't wait for the rest of it!

No comments: