Sunday, July 19, 2009

Very Small Light . . . Very Big Tunnel . . .

A (pleasurable) family commitment on the weekend cuts into time available and with the commercial wolf still at the door progress seems at a standstill!

With the machines dedicated to earning a few shekels I really didn't want to disturb them over this weekend so I needed a separate task to make something happen . . .

I have had the top clearance lights sitting in a box for some time so I decided now is the time.

I was concerned at just where to mount them as it meant breaking through the fibreglass integrity at some point and sealing was going to be important but the exact position was going to be dictated by the steel structure behind the fibreglass and at first glance seemed that the only likely place was going to be too far from the corner.

The "regulations" allow up to 200mm (but this seems a bit too far for my liking).

Eventually it turned out that the best place was almost right at the corners.

Surprise. Surprise. Not often that happens !!

So a few screws (stainless steel of course) and a big dollop of silicone (hope they never have to come out again) and a small mix up with the initial wiring there they are.

It is amazing how bright a few diodes appear to be.

I am still not convinced they are an economical substitute for fluorescents for internal use however, but they sure seem to be the popular choice for clearance and indicators etc..

Rear























Front























It's weird . . .

I have measured and tested and squinted and everything else I can think of and although the tools say they are on square and when they are turned off they look OK . . . they still look crooked when they are turned on.

No comments: